What We Choose To See...

Monday, October 26, 2009

Living in America is a lot like living in a bubble. We have clean water, food to the point that obesity is an epidemic, hundreds of TV channels, and a 'starter' home a 2 bedroom condo with a traditional family home being over 1,500 square feet.

Turn on CNN.com and you might get hours of uniterrupted coverage of the Michael Jackson death, missing balloon boys, and interviews with Jon Gosselin. If you watch the scrolling marquee at the bottom you might catch a few talking points of international news. Maybe.

So what's going on in Afghanistan? I mean, we currently have hundreds of thousands of troops over there, right? The War on Terror is now seven years old, thousands have died, but America-- we just keep updating our Facebook status on the minutae of our lives. "I totally bought wedding shoes today." And I did. And, shamefully, I usually spend way too much time blogging about such stuff.

The Big Picture posted this link today of a photo essay on the current state of Afghanistan. It's one of the only places on the net I've found pictures of what's going on over there.

Today has been one full of perspective.

0 comments: