Day 05 → Something you hope to do in your life.
I know ya’ll thought I dropped the ball on this. And I did. However, I’ve made a point in my life recently to follow through more, to keep my house more tidy, my office more organized, and even try to iron my clothes instead of throwing them back in the dryer. I’m attempting to domesticate myself.
Usually I live in a type of slow-motion avalanche. I open my mail between the mailbox and our house, and then leave it in piles on the table next to the door. My bedside table is a collection of water glasses, and most of the drawers in my house are junk drawers. It drives me nuts, but only recently I’ve decided to retrain myself. Time to be an adult.
I blame my mother for this. She is perhaps the neatest, most tidy human on the planet right now. I grew up in a house that didn’t know the meaning of dust. She vacuumed every day. I didn’t even bother making my bed, because even when I did she would re-make it so it had perfect corners and fluffed pillows. I always just figured the water glass next to my bed would make its way be to the kitchen, that laundry came out of the dryer wrinkle-free, and the cruel reality of dusty baseboards never seemed to occur to me.
Mom, can you come live with me? I’ll even buy you a box of Franzia.
But back on track:
Day 5- Something you hope to do in your life.
I’ve thought about this question a lot lately. Quarter-life crisis or something. Kids? Travel? Own my own company?
That all seems so predictable. Don’t get me wrong, it sounds awesome, too. But I don’t know if that’s my hope above all hopes. Sure, I love kiddos. And I’d love to see India, and New Zealand, and Alaska, and Chile. But I think there has got to be something more, something that truly speaks to who I am.
And I think I know what that is. I hope, in my life, to write and publish a book. A book that someone not related to me will buy. It doesn’t have to be a best seller, or go into a second edition, or anything that lofty.
I just would like to write a book. And have it be good enough that a few people might read it.
Unfortunately, all my spare time is now filled with trying to get a handle on the avalanche of my domestication. However, once I’ve mastered organization (or hire a maid) I will start writing my book. I have a story in my head that I plan to tell. And I can’t wait.
Ahem... Day 5
Monday, December 6, 2010
Posted by Margo at Monday, December 06, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment