I don't celebrate Easter. Case in point: Yesterday I went fishing in the morning (instead of church-- and I caught a fish and that is extremely exciting, i'm making everyone suffer through the story about my catch today at work) and that afternoon made dinner for a few people consisting of homemade tortillas, shredding chicken, and all the taco-fixin's. And beer.
It was a lovely day even though I am suffering the repricussions of a sunburn today.
However, when you live in the South and choose not to spend a holiday in church, there is a lot of explaining (or fibbing) to do the next day at work. This holiday I chose not to lie after the first questions was not "Did you go to church" but "What church did you go to?"
Since I'm not very good on me feet when it comes to lies, I went the truth route. Far riskier...
Scene: Maintenance man, whom I've always been friends with at work, enters my office around 8:30am.
MMan: Good morning Margo, how was your Easter?
Margo: (Pre-coffee) Oh fine, how was yours?
MMan: Oh great, went to church!
Margo: That's nice, I hope you had a good time.
MMan: What church did you go to? A good midwestern girl like you definately goes to church.
Margo: (Pause-- the only lie I could think of involved a sickness but drat- too much time had passed and)Oh, no. No church- I went fishing instead.
MMan: Certainly you are a member of a church- you have to go sometimes, what church do you go to?
Margo: No, no church. (Now reaching for the proven excuse that is actually true) My boyfriend is Jewish.
MMan: Well he should want to go to church!
Margo: (Is this guy for real?) Well... no. Not really. We like to spend our Sundays outside-- enjoying the sun and the weather.
MMan: You should join a church, Margo.
And then he turned and left! He seemed so dissapointed in me!
Ugh, I used to really liket his man-he's always smiling and so happy- but now things are awkward. The south bothers me sometimes, it really does. Sure people are nice, and the weather can't be beat-- but some people are so narrow minded. I was talking with two ladies at work the other day about a third party that had recently committed suicide. The first question from lady #1? "Had she taken Jesus Christ as her personal savior?"
Whoa Whoa Whoa. This is work. That stuff throws me off.
Now maybe I'm the one being narrow minded.
On a final note- a good friend of mine just started blogging! Click on "Ash" over here --------------->
Margo, the Heathen
Monday, March 24, 2008
Posted by Margo at Monday, March 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
hey i dont want people reading my blog! Your the exception. ;)
Post a Comment