An Open Letter to Publix

Monday, May 12, 2008

Dear Publix Supermarket #0099,

First off let me tell you that I'm a huge fan. Aside from the lackluster avacados (seriously, have you ever had a ripe one in your store?) I am a huge fan of your produce sprawl. Seedless grapes are always on sale while the asparagus is reasonably priced. Braeburn and Pink Lady apples abound, and the cilantro is always fresh. I can't get enough of your Boar's Head Cracked Black Pepper Turkey, and the subs with plenty of black olives and pickles continually hit the spot. Your beer selection isn't half bad, and I can always find a reasonable bottle of red wine (thank you Ravenswood Cabernet!)

However, please cease and desist your sushi production. I am so tired of the digusting, slimy, cold rice and imitation crab meat. You may camoflauge it with a beautiful slice of tuna or salmon; however, after the first bite I am unable to get past the distinct taste of imitation crab. Cured pollock < crab.

I am constantly fooled. You have the token asian man complete with bandana behind the meat counter making these rolls. I constantly think, "Ohhh yum, sushi!" and purchase a roll or two. It's a farce. A disgusting farce.

After all the virtues that is Publix, and my adoring love for you (even though I could save money by shopping at WalMart), this is the only area of your store that I find seriously defunct.

My solutions for this problem? Get a real sushi bar (please see A.J.'s supermarkets for examples...) where it's made to order. IF this proves to be too difficult-- would it be too much to ask to stop using imitation crab meat in EVERY SINGLE ROLL?

Ahem.

Anyway, I do love you store #0099. Especially checker Inez in the express lane. She's always so cheerful.

Best-- Margo

NOTE: Best grocery store of the face of the planet is A.J.'s in Scottsdale off of Frank Lloyd Wright next to Flo's and Chipotle. They are a bunch of classy people-- they don't even put price tags on the wine bottles- have a sushi bar, and every beer ever created. Not to mention organic produce as far as the eye can see. I've considered moving back just to be near it...

0 comments: