Did I ever tell you about our 2nd date?

Thursday, September 11, 2008

'Cause the first one only sorta-counted based on the fact that we went out to dinner at Cafe 11 even though neither one of us liked Cafe 11's food and the fact that there had been no smooch yet... so ya know... AWKWARD.

Anyone, our second date was pretty unique for this shygirl. Schuyler tells me that his "friends are playing a quick set at the new Starbucks downtown in Jacksonville and would you like to go even though you have to work tomorrow?" I almost didn't go. Hello, there are three Starbucks in town, why must we drive an hour to a different Starbucks? That has the same menu? To see a band that probably sucks?

But, you see-- I was a little smitten with the boy so of course he could have suggested going snipe hunting and I probably would have played along.

So we go allllll the way downtown. I was wearing this HORRIBLE red shirt that said "Don't Eat Me I Love You" with a pig carrying a bouquet. And Minnetonkas. Seriously? Seriously. Yuck.

Anyway. We get there and the musica was actually pretty... great. There were only about 30 people there and it was COLD for Florida, but I was pretty surprised. It didn't suck like I was totally prepared for. I was even more surprised when a couple of the people playing came over the chat afterwards and were actually smart and articulate.

So we went back to one of their apartments and spent the night listening to Nancy Sinatra records and drinking hot toddies (which totally made me homesick for Nebraska in the winter and my dad's cold cure-all.) It was a lovely evening that I definitely didn't feel "hip" enough to fit in, but luckily no one called me out. (I may be a lot of things... but hip? Never.)

So who woulda thunk it when a few weeks ago Schuyler shows me a YouTube video of the Letterman Show. I grumble "I dont' like Letterman... wait... is that?"

Yup. The Black Kids. Are totally famous now. Last year Starbucks... now this year? Letterman.

So I'm going to do some shameless plugging. September 19th at Free Bird. Go see them! Bring your dancing shoes... (which most-certainly AREN'T Minnetonkas.)



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

you didn't mention the free coffee we got at Starbucks because i know people and the sweet smootch in the car, when i asked if it was ok to kiss you...
aka the best part...and ps..


....i know people