So while Schuyler was in class last night, I attempted to make bierocks. A bierock is a traditional German dish of bread pockets baked with a meat and cabbage filling. For you Nebraskans, that’s the correct name for RUNZA. Mmmmm. Runza. (Quick lesson in Nebraska culture: Nebraska, and only Nebraska, has a chain of 83 restaurants called “Runza.” They sell the Runza sandwich (a bierock), in several variations. And also the best French fries you’ll ever taste in your life.)
.jpg)
Unfortunately, the recipe I chose called for caraway seed. I didn’t know I detested caraway so much until I had already ruined my beautiful bierocks with this vile weed. I made homemade bread dough, cooked the cabbage with hamburger and onion, and made the cutest little bread pockets you’ve ever seen in your life. I was practically turning myself on with my crafty kitchen skillz yo. I mean, homemade bread! After a full day of work! I am soooo the next Martha Stewart. I pulled them out of the oven, the bread baked to a nice golden color. I am thinking about how proud I’m making my German ancestors. Then I bite in to one. And. EW. How did that black licorice flavor invade my delicious homemade dinner? The damned caraway seed ruined my nice homemade dinner.
So I’m just going to take this as a lesson. When I want to be a modern kitchen goddess, I’m going to stick with what I know: enchiladas, clam chowder, and oatmeal. I got the recipes from my Mexican Quaker grandma who lives in New England…
.jpg)
Unfortunately, the recipe I chose called for caraway seed. I didn’t know I detested caraway so much until I had already ruined my beautiful bierocks with this vile weed. I made homemade bread dough, cooked the cabbage with hamburger and onion, and made the cutest little bread pockets you’ve ever seen in your life. I was practically turning myself on with my crafty kitchen skillz yo. I mean, homemade bread! After a full day of work! I am soooo the next Martha Stewart. I pulled them out of the oven, the bread baked to a nice golden color. I am thinking about how proud I’m making my German ancestors. Then I bite in to one. And. EW. How did that black licorice flavor invade my delicious homemade dinner? The damned caraway seed ruined my nice homemade dinner.
So I’m just going to take this as a lesson. When I want to be a modern kitchen goddess, I’m going to stick with what I know: enchiladas, clam chowder, and oatmeal. I got the recipes from my Mexican Quaker grandma who lives in New England…
1 comments:
Erick and I made some Runzas a while back. They were great for taking to work for lunch. Our recipe didn't call for caraway seeds, but our recipe for reuben loaf does. And it's great on that. You just sprinkle the seeds on top to get a little rye flavor. Anyway, the Runza restaurant chain is one of the many reasons I love Nebraska. South Dakota doesn't offer much. :)
Sarah
Post a Comment