A Baby Story

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Happy Hump Day, ya’ll. I’m currently suffering from Bloggers Block. But I’m going to give it a try today as it’s been almost a week since I’ve updated and I feel I’m disappointing my three loyal readers. (Hi Mom!)

So last night, just when I thought I was getting to the end of my rope- a miracle! My friend Holly called and said she was bringing over a bottle of vino. MIRACLE! As we munched on bean burritos (I? am such a good cook) and chatted about silly girl things we got on the subject of babies. (Not a silly girl thing, but real-life occurrence.)

Is it just me or has everyone had a baby this month? Seems like every time I log onto Facebook I’m staring at some baby album. Which, awww, baby—cute, but still. I remember not so long ago it was all albums named “Wasted to the XTREME in NYC BITCHES!” and then it subtly progressed into “My Wedding Weekend Part 1 of 23”. Now? Babies. And don’t get me wrong, I am excited! about! babies! My sister is growing one as we speak. (And might I add, she is looking super adorable in her Pea in the Pod wardrobe.) But with all the baby-having, it seems there is becoming a disconnect between my friends that are married and gestating, and my friends that are taking a more leisurely pace to marriage/motherhood. In fact, just last Thursday I sat down at a table at the bar where two friends of mine were talking. Two baby-having friends. What were they talking about? Oh, you know—breast pumps and potty training and this thing called mastitis which- YUCK. (Google at your own risk.) So I definitely had to scratch my opening comment (something along the lines of ‘If this glass of red wine gives me a hangover tomorrow for work I’m going to be super pissed’) and I went more for the “shock and awe” gaze.

So please don’t judge me if my Facebook albums still revolve around the more juvenile, “Woo woo St. Patty’s Day!” genre. Last time I checked my ovaries weren’t calcified yet, so I’m going to remain an outsider in the Mommy club. And honestly, I’m kinda bummed about being left out. (Just the alienation part, not the having a baby live at my house and wake me up in the middle of the night part.) It’s the “left out” like third grade when I never got invited to the cool kids sleepover.

Hey- but if I plan it right, all my friends’ kids can baby sit my kids. Right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I blame "I fell victim to a yucky old house" instead of marriage? Can I play that card, cause it really is the truth, woman.

And women are having babies into their forties now, so you and I should be in no hurry. I want to enjoy looking good, well, at least DECENT, in a two piece for a just a few more years :)

Brook said...

Ditto@mastitis, and I don't even have to feel it. Ow.
Babies are just the additional portion of life -- think of it as subdividing.
Besides, all the other "adults" around here always say the only thing better than them being yours is watching the tailights drive away after a visit.