Bread Loaf, Week One
I left Saint Augustine bleary and teary eyed on Tuesday morning at 4:45 am. It was tough saying goodbye to Schuyler, Lu, and the stinky cats. Schuyler got up with me, helped load my car, and made me a runny egg sandwich (just the way I like it.) I arrived in Asheville at high noon and was moved into my dorm by 1:30. I was feeling pretty anxious and spent most of the afternoon wandering around the campus. At 5 we had a welcome from Tilly, the Asheville director, and then at 6 we had North Carolina barbecue (I had bbq’d tofu- and it was really pretty good) beer, and a bluegrass band. I finally relaxed a few iotas after boldly introducing myself to a few girls around my age and attempting to make friends. Back to my dorm at 7 (I still had reading to do) and met my very very jet lagged roommate, Alice (pronounced ahl-eece) from Germany.
The next few days were filled with a lot of reading. And when I say “a lot” I mean at least 4 hours in the morning, then a three hour class, dinner, and then another 3-6 at night. Six weeks, six graduate credits-- wow, it’s finally sinking in that this is going to be HARD. I read most of my books before arriving here, but the supplemental reading is killing me. Piles of feminist criticism on Renaissance drama. Then I was assigned to teach a book in each class, so I’m re-reading those books and taking notes because each presentation is 45 minutes. My professors are these AMAZING women. One’s from Princeton and the other from Chapel Hill-- so I’m trying my hardest to live up to their standards.
Socially- well-- I guess I’ve quickly realized that I did not come here to socialize. It’s pretty obvious some did. Two of my suitemates have gone to the bars every night, and were at the lake all day today. Good for them! However, I remember how I got really derailed the first few weeks of undergraduate college when I decided that making friends was my first priority. Since I paid cash for this program, and think I’m going to be a little bit of a stick in the mud on the bars/nightlife thing. Hello, my name is stick in the mud.
Not to say I haven’t made any friends. I totally have! Alice from Germany is great and we hang out together a lot. There’s a girl named Susanne upstairs who we usually have dinner with, and Molly across the hall is my 7:30am breakfast buddy. (People here LOVE to sleep in. When you live with a pastry chef you soon learn that 7:30 is totally sleeping in, and by then I’m ready for my bacon and eggs.)
My only regret so far is that I haven’t been able to find the time to work out. The gym has the worst hours (11 am until 8pm) and I am always busy during that time. I miss my 6 am work out!
It’s Friday night and I just returned from a folk music shindig where the lead singer actually said, “for the next song lets have us a good murder ballad”. One cool thing? Free mini fridge in the dorm room and beer is not contraband. (I think it might actually be required.) So Alice, Susanne and myself got a six pack of Walihua Wheat beer and enjoyed a beer on the balcony overlooking the Smokies. It was great- although I think I ask Alice too many cultural questions.
I’m completely wiped out and I have so much work to do tomorrow. See everyone on the flip-side.
Just some light summer reading...
Friday, June 19, 2009
Posted by Margo at Friday, June 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment