And with these words, the poetry/prose/musical reading commenced tonight in Asheville complete with a group singing of "Let the Circle be Unbroken." And yes, mom, I sang. Holy Jesus, I sang in the tone deaf way I don't even think you could love.
Heard some spoken word and I will maintain the fact that I'm not really a spoken word fan. Or maybe it's the ragamuffin type who usually do spoken word- tonight's presenter was not wearing shoes- and it was all I could think about. Isn't he scared of getting hook worm? Stepping on a nail? Stepping to bird feces? I couldn't concentrate on his rhythmic rant.
But after the spoken word I heard a hilarious non-fiction piece about a pit bull and a bag of pot, some poetry on text messages, mandolin music, and a really great fiction piece on a lonely Polish school teacher. And all of it made me want to write again. Since I haven't been writing. This blog hardly counts as I blatantly disregard grammar and direction and any semblance of theme.
So maybe I will write something. I'm feeling inspired by Appalachia. Although, unfortunately, thethree themes in Appalachian story telling are murder, alcoholism, and abuse.
Someone get me a beer!
When you have writers block, lower your standards
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Posted by Margo at Sunday, June 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Hi,
I happened to be at that reading the other day - I'm at UNCA for the the summer, and just stumbled upon it by chance. Anyway, for the life of me I couldn't remember what group put it on, so I googled: "pit bull, bag of pot, asheville" just now, and fell into your blog.
So are you doing a graduate program this summer? Is that what that reading was all about? Are there any more coming up?
Nice to (electronically) meet you,
~Matt
PS I'm not a spoken word fan either. Meh.
Post a Comment