Dear Olivia Fay,
The day you were born we all knew you were coming. The doctors told your mom that you were ready to come out-- and so off your parents went to the hospital in Arizona. (That hospital is right by IHOP which is one of your dad's favorite places to eat, and Teak Woods- a place your mom, dad, and I used to go often to play pool.) We all thought you were going to be born on 7/08/09... but you must be stubborn like your mom, because you didn't come to meet the world until a few minutes after midnight.
I spent the day you were born corresponding with your mom, and going to class. Today I had to give a presentation on the book Warriors Don't Cry by Melba Patillo Beals. If you grow up to like literature as much as your aunt, we can read it together. It's about the Civil Rights movement, and integrating the Little Rock High School in Arkansas. It might be hard to believe that our country was so racist. It still isn't perfect, but it has made some strides.
In fact, on the day you were born our president is Barack Obama, a black man. He ran on a platform of "Change" and even though he beat out my pick (Hillary Clinton) in the primaries, I hope he proves to be as brilliant and capable as everybody thinks he is. You see, on the day you were born there were many things in the US that need to be fixed: the economy, healthcare, and education just to name a few. But, despite the crisis we are currently in- the US remains the greatest place on earth to live. You are lucky to be born here.
You are also lucky to have Sadie and Tony as your parents. If you haven't figured it out yet- Tony makes the best hamburgers, and does the best impressions. He is also pretty good with advice. Don't be afraid to ask. Sadie is the funniest person in the world, and she is also the strongest. Don't even bother arguing with her because she.will.win. Sadie is also the best person to watch movies with, get gellato with, and go on road trips with. Sadie WILL stop at Wall Drug.
On the day you were born the headlines were all about Michael Jackson's death. He was the King of Pop. If you aren't familiar with him, ask me to lend you my Thriller CD if CD players still exist by the time you read this. The top grossing movie was some Transformers sequel which sucks ass and you probably haven't heard of it. Hey, you were born in July and no good movies come out in July. The #1 song on Billboard is "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas. The Black Eyes Peas are just 'meh' in my opinion. But I will still love you if you grow up to listen to pop music. I may bitch about it. But I will still love you.
So, one thing I want to touch on is that even though you were born in Arizona, you are actually FROM NEBRASKA. Ok? Your mom and dad both grew up in Nebraska. Your favorite football team is the Huskers, it's 'pop' not 'soda', and your Grandma Linda makes the best food in the world. None of these things are negotiable, and if you object to any I will probably have to disown you.
When you get old enough, you need to let your Grandpa Leo teach you how to play golf.
We're all pretty excited you're here. You're the first grandbaby, my first neice, and probably the most exciting thing that has ever happened in our lives. That being said- that doesn't mean you can go out and break curfew with your boyfriend who owns a badass truck every night. (Like your mom did with your dad in high school-- shh, don't tell them I told you.) It also doesn't mean you can pierce your eyebrow and we'll all be cool about it. So don't.even.think.about.it.
I haven't even met you yet, and I already love you and your button nose, your pink cheeks, and your squirmy little bagok! sound you make when you cry.
Love you always,
Aunt Margo
A letter on your birthday
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Posted by Margo at Wednesday, July 08, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment