You know, some days a type-o can really take the wind out of your sails. Today, I was crushed by a type-o. But since I need to move upward and onward, I’m going to not dwell on the type-o. I’m going to share with you the amazing lentil soup recipe I tried yesterday. So delicious! So nutritious!
Start by sautéing:
1 yellow onion
2 stalks celery
2 carrots
2 T. garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
in olive oil over medium-high heat until almost tender. (I’m sure you would probably figure this out at some point, but chop the veggies.)
Once they are almost tender add one 14.5 ounce can of chopped tomatoes with the juice. (Or you can add about 1 ½ cups fresh chopped tomato if you have it on hand). Let simmer together for about 5 minutes. I then added about 4 sprigs of fresh Thyme from my herb garden—but you could probably use rosemary or basil or whatever you have on hand.
Add in one pound of lentils (they come in one pound bags). At this point if you are a vegeton add 10 cups of vegetable broth and cook for 45 minutes. If you’re meat-friendly, add 9 cups of chicken broth and one pound of chopped smoked ham. Cook for 45 minutes.
I prefer the soup with ham, but made with vegetable stock. Ironic, I know.
This soup is so easy and I know I rarely share recipes, but this one is great! It makes a lot, so be prepared to feed a bunch of people. (Or you can freeze portions of it.)
Cheers my thrifty soup-makers!
PS If you find a type-o in this, please spare my feelings and ignore it.
Margotha Stewart
Monday, August 24, 2009
Posted by Margo at Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's okay, my sister sent an email out to her entire company saying that there was an "Outie" with its alarm going off in the company parking lot.
Soooo funny.
I vote for a permanent name change to "Margotha" then you could, like, conquer North America or something with your screaming hordes.
BLOG OWNER APPROVAL? HOW RUDE!
Post a Comment