Hello, October

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I'm so glad tomorrow marks the first day of October. I've always loved October. As a small child it meant picking pumpkins out of our garden and carving them with mom and dad. My dad helping us carve scary faces while my mom roasted the seeds in the oven.

October in Nebraska is perfection. The temperature plunges into the 50's, making sweaters and jeans a necessity. The leaves change color and crunch underfoot. In high school October meant football games on Friday night (boy chasing/watching! swoon!) followed by golf meets on Saturday morning. State golf was always in October, which meant an all-expense paid trip to the illustrious and exotic "Grand Island" in south central Nebraska. It was neither 'grand' nor an 'island' but it did have a Holiday Inn Express with an indoor swimming pool. That was the king of swank for me back then! (Who am I kidding, it still is!)

For some reason I've been nostalgic for Fall back at home... In fact, last night I woke up tremendously homesick. I think it had something to do with the windows being open, but I woke up longing for the last few rounds of golf at the Plainview Country Club before the snow set in. The Husker games in Lincoln and the Plainview Pirate football games wrapped in a fleece blanket clutching a cup of hot chocolate. The excitement of youth in those shortening days and lengthening nights that promised adventure and little bit of trouble.

Now seems as good a time to mention it: I am visiting home December 26 through the 30th. It will be short. It will be good. Lavernivus is turning 60 on the 27th.

Until then, I will enjoy the bittersweet emotions of fall from afar.

1 comments:

.elle.b. said...

Mmmm, hot chocolate.