Leggings PSA: Just Say No. Like drugs, only more visually disturbing.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a fashionista. I grew up in Nebraska on a farm. When I moved into the dorm my Freshman year of college I unpacked a laundry basket full of denim skirts, Sketcher shoes, and tank tops with shelf bras. Much to the horror of my new roommates. Need proof?

However, there is a very disturbing trend that has continued to perpetuate itself and its making me go all Nina Garcia up in here. Since when are leggings ok? They are like tube tops, only for your legs. They are perhaps the only part of pants you can get for $8 at Target. Do you want everyone to know you are wearing $8 pants? Have some pride. Plus, if I'm covering up my cellulite, I don't know if I would trust $8 worth of jersey cotton. That is a gamble I'm not quite prepared to lose.

But it gets worse. How? How could it possible get worse? You ask. Well, I will tell you how. You top your $8 fancy jersey glorified tube socks with a shirt that keenly resembles a potato sack. Exhibit A:






















Essentially, and stop me if I'm wrong here Clinton and Stacey, you don't define a waist line. In fact, you've eliminated all your womanly curves and become a walking ice cream cone. See the resemblence? (Imagine the ice cream being addicted to Red Bull and just out of rehab, that will help.)

(Also, must I point out that this is Lindsay Lohan in January of 2008. So 1) it's over people, and 2) who in their right mind wants to dress like Lindsay Lohan?)

Ice cream cones are so hot this year. Jah.

So please stop assaulting my eyes with this. And I'm not the only person who feels this way. The LBC (Ladies Book Club) took a vote, and we declared a leggings embargo. As club parlimentarian, I feel it is my civic duty to attempt to put an end to this jersey cotton fiasco. It may be the fabric of our lives, but I doubt Eli Whitney would approve of the cotton gin leading to this debauchary.

2 comments:

- Dani said...

HAHAHA! I'm right there with you! Thank you for the laugh this morning!

Bethany said...

We are not alone either! See...
http://www.elementsofstyleblog.com/2009/11/tights-are-not-pants.html