Never a Southern Girl, only a Girl that Lives in the South

Monday, December 7, 2009

Crescent Beach Ramp


So I spent the weekend in Atlanta.

No matter how hard I try, I just don’t really like Atlanta. Or, really, Georgia, for that matter. Come to think of it, I really don’t care too much for the South. That whole “Southern Hospitality” is a bunch of bull, have you ever come into close contact with an escalated Gator fan drunk on Keystone Light on game day? Their petulance for all humans not draped in blue and orange is scary.

Why then, do I choose to live here? (Aside from the fact that I love fried pickles…) Well, I have come up with two reasons.
1)Beach
2) Warmth

Because while I was in Atlanta freezing my buns off, among all the Florida and Alabama fans for the SEC game this weekend, I was ruminating on the question of why in holy hell would anyone choose to live in the South. I don’t really find the accent too charming, and I was tired of people yelling “Gator bait!” in my general direction. I think the cold clouded my cognitive thinking abilities, because at that point I was almost ready to fly home and announce to Schuyler, “We are moving back to Nebraska. I can’t take one more College football season here. Let alone, if one more person serves me tea with enough sugar in it to give me type 2 diabetes I am going to scream.”

Then I actually flew home and realized the whole reason why I put up with this ‘culture’ (if you can get away with calling it that) is the simple fact that I love the ocean and warm weather (I’m not wearing a coat or socks today, I win.). And California and Hawaii are too expensive.

So until global warming turns Nebraska into a semi-tropical location and the ice caps melt, thus giving Nebraska a coastal boarder, looks like I’m stuck putting up with the locals here in Florida.

Hey, it could be worse. I could be living in Atlanta.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

#1: I wish a woman in my bookclub was marrying/married to a pastry chef. And if she was, I'd demand he make the cookies for the cookie exchange.

#2: I love the cold weather. Snow on the ground today. Christmas in Washington is lovely. You should live here.

SJ said...

There are some quite charming things about living in the South - just think Charleston :) I might be a bit biased, but I'm partial to the accent :) While it's great to be close to family, not a day goes by that I don't miss good ole South Carolina, mullets, drunk SEC fans (hey, I have those at home), and all!

But I agree - Atlanta's not for me!

Anonymous said...

Go Huskers!