Crash and burn...

Friday, May 7, 2010

So, I made it a full 48 hours on my fast. And then Schuyler and I got in the car and drove 4 hours to his grandmother's wake and funeral... and there were massive amounts of food and I promised Schuyler that if we were eating a meal with his family I would eat because his family is all from Michigan and if I explained that I was on a detoxification fast they would all think I was a crazy woman that needs to eat some fried chicken to put some meat on my bones.

By golly, I love midwesterners.

So I had a piece of vegetarian pizza and a glass of water and was thinking, ya know, this isn't so bad. Then we went to the bar with his family... and I may have had a Guinness or three. And a shot of tequila. It was Cinco de Mayo and we were sad. The alcohol was pretty-much the only logical answer to our ailments.

And then, because they are beloved midwesterners, there was a huge pot-luck spread of food at church after the service. I tried to stick to fruit salad and veggies, but I had to sample (read: snarf) some potato salad and ham. Hello, midwestern-style church food in Florida-- I couldn't pass it up. I felt so at home.

Anyway, I'm invited to a BBQ at my friend's beach condo on Saturday, so this fast is on hold until then. I have still remained committed to not eating sugar or caffeine though. And this caffeine withdrawl is so bad I had to google my symptoms to make sure I didn't have rabies. I have a really bad headache and now my whole body aches (could have something to do with the 9 hours I spent driving in heavy Orlando/Tampa traffic the past two days).

I might have rabies, though. This headache means business and they just caught two raccoons in an area close to my house that have rabies. It was on the front page of the paper today. And my cat likes to spend lots of time outside, probably chilling with the racoons. And when he comes in at night sometimes he licks me and now I'm probably infected with rabies. Great.

1 comments:

Erin Hanson said...

You know what will cure your rabies??? Sugary coffee drinks!! (For your upcoming trip to Phoenix, go to LUX & have a velvet latte, you'll never have any coffee drink so good & you can go back to your fast)