Tonight while cooking dinner (BLT's with avocado and waffle fries... and lettuce from the garden) I started to think about my five favorite foods.
Something you should know about me: I'm way too practical. Painfully practical. It literally paralyzes me sometimes, especially when occasions call for spontaneity. Like last time I went to the lake with my sister, her and her husband decided that it would be fun to jump off the cliffs. So I should react, "YA SOUNDS LIKE FUN," but instead I chew my nails and mutter, "umm... that's probably against some sort of local law, we're totally going to get arrested." So they whoop and holler and jump of the cliffs doing jolly cannon balls and I'm stuck in the boat guarding our case of Keystone Light and watching out for the Beach Patrol. I am so the life of the party.
Anyway, back to the five foods and my practicality. I was trying to choose foods that would both be delicious to eat and also balanced in nutrition. I came up with avocados, cheddar cheese, almonds, black beans and rice, and pickles. Why pickles? Because they are my favorite. But only dill. The bread and butter pickles are disgusting and need to be banned by the FDA on grounds of making me gag.
So I decided I needed Schuyler's opinion on this very important matter.
Me: Hey honey, if you only could eat five foods the rest of your life, what would they be?
Schuyler: Stares at The Daily Show... "what honey?"
Me: I said, if you only could eat five foods the rest of your life, what would they be?
Schuyler: Um... Pub Sub!!!
Defined as: A sub sandwich from Publix Supermarket
Margo: You have four more.
Schuyler: Salisbury steak and... MEXICAN.
Margo: You can't just pick the entire Mexican menu. You can pick a burrito. Or a taco or enchilada. You can't just claim anything with a tortilla or salsa as one food.
Schuyler: Ignoring me. Candy and broccoli and cheese casserole.
Margo: So let me get this straight- your five foods are Publix sandwiches, salisbury steak, everything that can be defined as "Mexican" and "candy" and broccoli and cheese casserole?
Schuyler: Smiles, returns gaze to Jon Stewart.
This drives the practical side of me crazy. And I'm pretty sure the broccoli and cheese is just a fluke, I made it for dinner on Sunday and it must still be on his palatial memory. I'm pretty sure he'll be asking me later tonight to remove it for pizza or brown sugar pop tarts. Although he may be grouping pop tarts in with candy.
Obviously if we only have five foods to live on together, we might only be able to agree on "all things Mexican" and that is breaking the rules and thus I'm completely uncomfortable with that compromise.
How about you? What are your five foods?
Update: He just added pumpkin pie. He informed me that he gets five PLUS dessert, and candy doesn't count as dessert.
Five Foods; or Practicality and the Beast
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Posted by Margo at Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
1. Buffalo Wings
2. Baked Brie
3. Chicken Pot Pie
4. Sauteed Spinach
5. Eggplant Pizza
And my dessert would also be pumpkin pie.
Long time reader, first time writer... Your post totally made me laugh out loud! Totally sounds like me and my wife, though, I don't know which one of us fits which role!
My (incredibly boring and I'm likely to die and Elvis style death if I was ever forced to stick to my top five diet) Top Five:
1. Sweedish Meatballs
2. Kraft Mac and Cheese
3. Tootsie Rolls
4. My Mom's Potato Salad
5. Lasagana
1. Sweet potatoes.
2. Lefse (my mom's only)
3. Peanut butter & jelly or honey sandwiches
4. Pasta
5. I'm with Schuyler, Mexican, all Mexican food!
Post a Comment