Hi, remember me?

Monday, August 9, 2010

This summer it has been such a challenge for me to keep up with my blog. I've been really busy with work, I devoted myself to doing yoga for 60 days in a row, and I've been traveling.  It is truly my intention to start posting more regularly. My 60 day yoga challenge was over on Friday, and though I still plan on doing yoga 4-5 times a week, it should be with less intensity.

Let me start by saying that yoga has completely changed my life. It has been such a salvation for me. Before I started the challenge I was anxiety-ridden, scattered, and emotionally charged. I was desperate for something to help. I tried giving up caffeine and alcohol, running, going to a chiropractor, going to bed at the same time, et cetera. Then I discovered the power of yoga. Now, I've been practicing yoga off and on for the past 4 years. But to devote yourself to the practice, to learn from each pose and breath-- it released something inside. I'm a much happier person.

Also? I'm a much stronger person. Seriously, these guns (formerly known as my arms) are out of control. In 60 days I went from not being able to do a balancing half moon to now being able to accomplish advanced postures like one-leg flying crow, eight-angle balance, firefly, and now I'm working toward peacock. What a joy. Also? Don't mess with me. I will annhilate you.

I've also been traveling. I was up in New England last weekend for a clam and lobster boil where I successfully deconstructed and consumed a 1.5 pound lobster. Then last week I was in St. Petersburg, FL for another event, which was fun. I was downtown cursing the traffic during a Rays game, but still a great trip. Next week I'm off to Nebraska with Schuyler to meet Sadie and Olivia for a trip back home. It should be great-- I'm so excited to see everyone! My parents just purchased a new house, and we'll get to see our new "home." 

Speaking of my parents, it's their 30 year wedding anniversary today. Or their "pearl" anniversary. Which I find fitting, because my name means "a pearl." I hope they spend all day thinking about their little pearl of a daughter and how lucky they are to have such gifted, beautiful, talented spawn.  Actually, I think they are spending the day at work. Borrrring. Typical Nebraska couple for you.

I think about what it takes to stay married for 30 years. It takes more than just love. Love is the easy part. It takes compromise, fortitude, and basically just a whole lotta guts. My grandmother always used to say, "Divorce is easy. Staying together, that's the hard part." So I admire my parents today, not only for the fact that after 30 years they still love each other (no small feat), but that they were able to stick it out through thick at thin without eating each other alive. It's something I learn from every day.

0 comments: