Today I'm 28. I always figured 28 would be a monumental number for me: the guy I had a crush on in high school was 28 (one of those love-from-afar things, he didn't know I existed) and I thought he was SO together. With his motorcycle and truck, great hair, house, and awesome part-time job bartending.
Instead of a motorcycle, I have a surfboard-- which is probably just as dangerous considering the shark + clumsy factor.
And instead of a truck, I have a 16 year old Lexus sedan that just rolled into 170,000 miles last weekend. (BUT, she is paid off. Which makes her my glorious debt-free chariot, despite the fact that I look like a Granny behind her golden wheels.)
My hair isn't so great, as I am still suffering the aftermath of a pixie haircut (seriously ladies, think twice before going down that road. It's taken me 13 months, 8 haircuts, and some interesting headband choices to feel comfortable in a public place. Until just a few months ago, I looked like I had been attacked by a dull food processor).
House, well-- I pay half the mortgage on our house, which is probably the most adult-y thing I do. And Terrifying. Because owning a house roots you to so many things: location, neighbors, public transportation, the crippling fear you will lose your job and lose your house and live in your gold Lexus in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
Which brings us to job: At least I'm not bartending! I quickly realized after high school that bartending isn't nearly as glamorous as I thought it was. With four summers of slinging drinks under my belt, I can honestly disapprove when my future children pose this as part of their life plan. I now have a job that pays the bills, and doesn't leave me soaked in Red Bull with sore feet. But it doesn't really fund my dreams. You know, because of my crippling fear of living in a Wal-Mart parking lot. (This isn't a complaint, I'm lucky with a great employer. But in the spirit of self-reflection, I'm being honest...)
So cheers to 28! I have accomplished some, but am looking for possibility. I might just take a chance this year to fund a dream or two. I think 28 will prove to be transformative-- because instead of waiting around for good things to happen, I am going to just start knocking on doors, making lists, and shaking things up a little.
Because you should never, ever shake things up by getting a super-short haircut.
28
Tuesday, January 3, 2012
Posted by Margo at Tuesday, January 03, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!...belated :)
Post a Comment