I realized yesterday that I've never had the big build up of anticipation leading to my birthday. The two weeks people normally get to remind people and get excited about dinner plans, I don't get to enjoy. See the two weeks that lead up to my birthday encompass my grandmother's birthday, Christmas, my father's birthday, my mother's birthday, New Years Eve, and New Years Day.
I'm trying not to be ba-humbug. But the truth of the matter is, it's usually the night before my birthday when someone finally gets around to saying, "So, you want to do anything special for your birthday?" usually accompanied by an exhausted post-holiday sigh.
However, this year I've finally let go of my childhood bitterness about the January 3rd date. I've let go of all the days I've sacrificed my birthday cake to the College Football gods for the National Championship game. All the first days back to school after holiday break. All the birthday presents wrapped in Christmas paper or, my personal favorite, "it's your Christmas and birthday present."
The fact of the matter is people usually forget my birthday-- and I'm totally ok with that. I sometimes forget, too, until I'm halfway to breakfast.
I used to wish I had a July birthday like my sister. But it could be worse, my grandma's birthday is Christmas eve, and the little boy I used to babysit (who graduates from high school this year-- gulp) was born on Christmas day.
This year I'm taking things into my own hands. I'm going to take a half day at work. I'm going to get a pedicure and buy myself something pretty. I think I'm going to go to my favorite little sushi place, and then perhaps dancing at the tiny little club down the road from my house. And I don't really care if I receive any cards in the mail or a big present from my parents. I'm more focused on the fact that I am going to be 24-- and how amazing the last 24 years have been.
I have been lucky so far.
Allow me a moment...
Thursday, December 20, 2007
Posted by Margo at Thursday, December 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
That Christmas card I sent you last week was also your birthday card. Sorry. HA. I'm kidding.
Two of my other friends birthdays are the 4th and 6th of January, so I hear this all the time and make an extra point to celebrate!
I'm also a little angry right now that you're younger than me. Boo. Is it wrong to be jealous over 45 days?
Merry Christmas friend!
Post a Comment