Next:

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Well, still trying to figure that out. I vascillate between sticking in my job for a few years, going to graduate school, and traveling abroad as an English teacher making like, $700 a month. I recently took the GRE and am baffled by interpreting my score. I even had my friend Tina ask her boyfriend (who is already done with graduate school) what my scores means, and he assured her to tell me (which I'm sure she sugar coated along the way) that an 1160 is like a B+. I never took the SAT's, just the ACT's, and apparently it's scored like the former. And shockingly enough, I did better on the math portion. Apparently trying to cram 800 vocabulary words into eight hours of studying the night before didn't work. In any light, a B is still a B and as my father would say, "never settle for a B."

But sure as shit I'm NOT retaking that horrible monstrosity of a test.

So I'm thinking about school-- and recently lost a little faith in the whole original dream of being an English professor. I think it's the whole PhD thing that I don't really feel the need to pursue. If I'm going to spend 6 years in school after a Masters degree, I think I would like to be able to write presciptions for drugs and command a six-figure salary at the end. Not get a tiny office and babysit the dreams of college students on a $60,000 salary. (I assume that's a generous estimate?)

So hmmm. An old professor whom I greatly admire gave me some advice a few weeks ago when she was visiting from Washington. She encouraged me to travel abroad and to see how it changes my perspective. The unfortunate thing about traveling abroad is it's extremely expensive and my parents are in no position to contribute.

Ultimately, I wish someone would just give me a push. I feel so stuck right now. Randy Pousch gives a lecture on how to fulfill your childhood dreams. Unfortunately, my childhood dreams were to work at a zoo or be a famous actress.

Lights, Camera, Action (?)

1 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

Yes, that's a generous estimate :) I think that we should invest all of our resources in candles. Let's start making candles that smell like special places from our past. For example, for Flagler students, we could sell candles that smell like the old Molly's Place. We'd make a fortune in reminding people of good memories through their noses. It only costs $50,000 to start.