My oldest friend in the world is turning 24 today! Happy happy birthday!
I had my very first sleep over with her, dished on our first kisses (only a few weeks apart), taught her how to drive a stick shift in my mom's BMW knowing full well my mom would kill me had she found out, spent Christmas Eve together every year, went to our first keg party together (hoooo boy did we think we were cool highschool freshmen despite our 11:00 pm curfew), and she taught me everything there is to know about fashion and chopping your hair off just to piss off your mom. Heck, I think I even let her cut my hair in 6th grade...
Not saying it's all good. I remember her not inviting me to a birthday party once because we were fighting about something... probably me not getting along with her new friend Amber. Then Amber started dating (read: manipulating) our friend Derek and we bonded over our mutual distaste for Amber. (Hey, I never said I was mature.)
But I've always counted on her for the non-judgemental stuff. She has always been there for me, no matter how dark the tunnel I dug for myself was.
Now we only get to see each other twice a year (if we're lucky) and that-- is sad.
So today I reflect on my Nebraskan childhood and my dear friend who was always the funniest, most outgoing, shortest, happiest girl in PHS. It was a good childhood... so thanks, Leslie.
I had my very first sleep over with her, dished on our first kisses (only a few weeks apart), taught her how to drive a stick shift in my mom's BMW knowing full well my mom would kill me had she found out, spent Christmas Eve together every year, went to our first keg party together (hoooo boy did we think we were cool highschool freshmen despite our 11:00 pm curfew), and she taught me everything there is to know about fashion and chopping your hair off just to piss off your mom. Heck, I think I even let her cut my hair in 6th grade...
Not saying it's all good. I remember her not inviting me to a birthday party once because we were fighting about something... probably me not getting along with her new friend Amber. Then Amber started dating (read: manipulating) our friend Derek and we bonded over our mutual distaste for Amber. (Hey, I never said I was mature.)
But I've always counted on her for the non-judgemental stuff. She has always been there for me, no matter how dark the tunnel I dug for myself was.
Now we only get to see each other twice a year (if we're lucky) and that-- is sad.
So today I reflect on my Nebraskan childhood and my dear friend who was always the funniest, most outgoing, shortest, happiest girl in PHS. It was a good childhood... so thanks, Leslie.

1 comments:
You know what's strange? My best friend from home (and since like the 4th grade when she moved to Vegreville) who I get to see twice a year, is also named Leslie. Eerie.....
Happy Birthday to your Leslie!
Post a Comment