Love is Hell, Mr. Adams

Friday, February 13, 2009

So today I’m going to annoy everyone and talk about music. Right now I’m listening to Nina Simone, my favorite of the month, and thinking about how weird I am. For demonstration, these are the songs I listen to while I run my three miles in the morning at the gym:
The Overly Dramatic Truth, El P
What We Had, Handsome Furs
Night of the Living Dead, Tilly and the Wall
Back to Black, Amy Wino
Sinnerman, Nina Simone (that eats up an entire eleven minutes)
I’ll Believe in Anything, Wolf Parade

I did have the MIA Paper Planes song on there, as a guilty pleasure. Then I realized with was doing the gun shots with my fingers while on treadmill in front of a bunch of people. Needless to say, it was removed.

From time to time, I throw in a little Sting and at my request Schuyler recently downloaded the Thriller album for my morning jams. However, I never ever ever EVER update my iPod. Maybe once every six months. And I make Schuyler update it. And he always gets a little editorial on me, so I end up with things like Cat Power (which I now love) and Murder by Death (HATE!!!).

Anyway, I’ve realized recently that I have no idea what is going on in the music realm anymore. I’ve only bought one CD in the past two years (Ray LaMontagne) and that was when I was bored at Target waiting for the pharmacy to fill my prescriptions. (Also the reason why I own the DVD About Schmidt, 42 target tank tops, and every single bath product that Burt’s Bees make.)

Then I read yesterday that Ryan Adams, my most favorite mediocre musician from college, is engaged to Mandy “I Wanna Be With You” Moore. Srsly? That’s nuts. Now I can understand what my college roommate Tara felt like when Andy Roddick was dating Ms. Moore. (Tara is perhaps the biggest Andy Roddick fan on the planet.) That sheer confusion of, “What is the appeal of Mandy Moore? Why is she famous?” conundrum. Not that I’m saying Ryan Adams is a catch. (Definitely not in the same league as Andy Hottie Roddick). He’s totally not. He’s… well… weird. And that’s why I like him. His music is a little melancholy, a little country, a little edgy—for me it was the perfect cocktail when I was in college and totally frustrated with life and why is it soooo harrrrddd mooommmmmmm. I want to come hoooooommmeeee. Insert 2,347 heartbreaks, multiply that by 87,234 mistakes, factor in misjudgements and WHAM. College. And Ryan Adams fit in with that time in my life very nicely, thank you very much. So what is my college go-to guy doing hooking up with the girl the played in Chasing Liberty, the crappy remake of Roman Holiday?! (She certainly can’t think she’s in the same league and Audrey Hepburn?)

Adams went corporate. And I’m tremendously disappointed.

And please, someone suggest some good iPod running music. I’m getting ready to update for most-likely the only time in 2009, and this list needs some staying power.

You know, some people just aren't meant for blond.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh... that Mandy Moore. Andy is now engaged to some "supermodel"...breaks my heart a little everyday.

Kurt said...

The Cardinals are still playing awesome shows for now, and RA hasn't yelled at anyone or walked off stage in a long time, so it's all good by me. I wouldn't call him corporate yet.