Is it bad to admit via blog that I've never attended an Easter service at church? Or, for that matter, a Christmas service. The majority of my church-going is funerals and weddings. I used to think I was a freak of the planet, having grown up in the bible belt known as Nebraska. I remember lying to my piano lesson teacher about which church I belonged to because I was afraid of her dissaproval or worse: her attempting to save me from eternal hellfire.
Then I moved to Florida. And even though this is Baptist country, I soon realized that I wasn't a freak of the planet. Other people don't go to church? Hot damn, I felt like a weight had been lifted from me. I stopped worrying about what people thought of me so much because HEY! other people in the world actually choose not to go to church. And they don't feel guilty about it. I can't tell you what a relief it was.
So that aside, I actually do enjoy the social aspect of Christian holidays. I love putting up a Christmas tree, singing "Away in a Manger" and all that jazz. So even to this day, I usually celebrate the holidays. Including Easter.
This year's Easter? Well... Schuyler and I did manage to take Lulu to the dog park where she tried to fetch a frisbee alongside a Great Dane and then got chased around by the cutest mutt called Rusty. The whole ordeal took thirty minutes before she was panting her guts out and collapsed in the shade. Bulldogs just aren't meant for any physical activity other than riding a skateboard. Then I came home and roasted a turkey, made gravy and mashed potatoes, and then Schuyler and I settled in for a nice long LOST marathon.
I have never seen LOST up until yesterday. And all I can say is: I am completely and utterly addicted. The bad news? I have about 145 more shows to watch on Hulu before I can actually be caught up. No one spoil anything for me. Sometime next year I may be caught up, and then we can talk about it.
Hope ya'lls Easter was a little more productive or festive than mine. I have been struggling with a crippling homesickness all week, so it was good to have a non-traditional Easter involving lots of TV to numb my brain a little.
And, no, I didn't watch the Masters. Don't tell my dad. To him, THAT would be sacrilege.
Keaster?
Monday, April 13, 2009
Posted by Margo at Monday, April 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment