We are family

Wednesday, April 8, 2009


So I know I talk a lot on this blog about the “boyfriend” “Cookie” aka Schuyler the Pastry Chef. But I’ve realized that most of your reading this blog have probably never met him. So here’s a ridiculous meme about our relationship. Bon apatite my pets!

What are your middle names?
Mae and Wendell. He comes from a long line of Wendells. I’m just Mae because my mom thought it sounded pretty.

How long have you been together?
Two and a half years.

How long did you know each other before you started dating?
We met in the Spring of 2005 at a friend’s birthday party. I left early with severe food poisoning that night and we didn’t see each other again or start dating until after I came back from the Phoenix fiasco in the Fall of 2006.

Who asked whom out?
Hmmm... I guess he did the asking. Via text message. ‘Cause that’s how our generation rolls.
How old are each of you?
We’re both 25. I’m three weeks older than him. RAWR I’m a cougar!

Whose siblings do you see the most?
My sister lives in Phoenix, his brother lives in the Azores. We never see either of them.
Which situation is the hardest on you as a couple?
Just the stress of managing a household, making bills, and trying to have a rock and roll lifestyle. We don’t get too stressed at each other. We know how to laugh it out.
Did you go to the same school?
Nope- we grew up a long ways away from one another.
Are you from the same home town?
I’m from Plainview, Nebraska and he’s from St. Augustine/Bradenton/Michigan.
Who is smarter?
Schuyler is much more analytic. He can fix anything, figure anything out. He’s the street smart problem solver. I’m more of the booksmart girl whose head is in the clouds. The one that can write a 20 page paper on female gender barriers in Cather with annotated sources, but can’t figure out how to read her MapQuest directions.
Who is the most sensitive?
Oh sheesh. Me. I take everything personally. It’s a sickness.
Where do you eat out most as a couple?
Usually sushi at Yamato, but sometimes Acapulco’s. On “fancy” occasions we’ll head out to the Tasting Room for some wine and tapas.
Where is the furthest you two have traveled together as a couple?
Nebraska. Yee haw! We can’t afford none of them there fancy vacations.
Who has the craziest exes?
I think most of his ex’s are pretty nice ladies, although I’ve never really met any of them. I mean, I saw one at a party once but I was wasted and all “wahhh why is she here” like the mature adult that I am. But I’m sure I could probably be friends with them. (I doubt they would want to be friends with me after the drunken party incident.) I question the mental balance of several of my exes, but I don’t communicate with any of them anymore. So it doesn’t really matter. We are a firm believer in the “never speak of the exes” school of thought. It’s unnecessary. We aren’t masochists.
Who has the worst temper?
Me. Have we met? Hi, I’m Margo and I like to slam things. Doors. Cupboards. Don’t make me mad. I will slam a door.
Who does the cooking?
We both cook, but Schuyler is better. (The chef? Really? Shocker!) I will make dinner, but I’m usually soooo hungry when I get home from work I make tuna salad or a frozen pizza or scrambled eggs with bacon. Schuyler is a better. He uses more than two ingredients. Fancy! That is out of my territory. Sometimes I make soup from scratch. And by “sometimes” I mean, “about twice a year.”
Who is the neat-freak?
I think I am, but it’s just my brain playing tricks on me. I mean, I’ll have a freaking nervous breakdown because his mail is on the dining room table. And when I mention it, he will show me the pile of MY mail that is messing up the dresser in our bedroom. Hmm. Touché, Mr. Cook.
Who is more stubborn?
He is. I fold every time.
Who hogs the bed?
So the evenings always start out nice enough. I’m on my side, he’s on his. I might have my head on his chest. I wake up at 3 a.m. curled in a ball underneath his arm and above his leg as he’s spread out like a damned starfish.
Who wakes up earlier?
Schuyler. He’s up at 5. I’m usually crawling out of bed at 5:30. Ugh.
Where was your first date?
The Tavern on St. George is technically our first 'date.' However, our first date where he picked me up and we went to dinner was Café Eleven about two weeks later. I had the hummus. We sat outside. It was lovely.
Who is more jealous?
We are both jealous. But that wave has probably passed.
How long did it take to get serious?
We were always serious. It was nearly instantaneous. Heck, we moved in together after five months.
Who eats more?
Me, no question. Unless there are heavy carbs involved (read: spaghetti, pizza, lasagna). I can’t eat that much when it comes to carbs. Schuyler can put away an entire pizza. However, it’s a running joke in the house that Margo will eat all the good food before you even get a taste. I can’t help it. NOM NOM NOM.
Who does the laundry?
We’re both great and loading the washer. Not so good at the transition to the dryer then to the closet. We live in Florida. Things get musty in a matter of hours. We have to rewash loads a lot.
Who's better with the computer?
Schuyler. To me the computer is where you write your blog and check your email. I didn’t realize there was so much more to it than that. Nor do I really care. But Schuyler is a computer whiz. His photoshop skillz always amaze me.

1 comments:

Sarah said...

I loved this.
And the slamming doors thing, YES.
Hello, my name is Sarah, and I slam things, too. I'm glad to know I've got a slam friend in you.