The Brick Wall

Friday, April 9, 2010

... I've hit it.

But I want to post a little something in celebration of Friday, the best damn day of the week. Unfortunately I don't have the emotional or mental capacity to write anything of note, and my physical strength if fading fast.

So I leave you with something I discovered last week. I went on a mission to find some correspondence papers for the late Richard Brautigan, one of my favorite authors. So I leave you with two of his letters. I wish I had a friend that would send me little thoughts like this... maybe I should buy a type writer and start sending some myself.

Tokyo,
April 9, 1984

Dear Greg,

I hope your guts are OK, but I don't know why you got an operation. What's wrong with standard Oklahoma treatment: an intertube? Can't see no trout out this window. Always look on the bright side, if your gut operation backfires, which they often do, you can use yourself as bait.

Thinkin' real hard about the big boy,
Richard

--

Pine Creek, Montana
January 11, 1983

Dear Bruce,

I'll be in California next week. This means with any luck at all we won't see each other, but I will try your fucking "secret" telephone number.

I'm trying to figure out if you owe me lunch or I owe you lunch... There's nothing to do up here in Montana, so I can think about it all day.

Thinking about lunch,
Richard

Courtesy of brautigan.net

3 comments:

.elle.b. said...

Dear Margo,
Heard work is hectic. At least you haven't been eaten by a bear. So, by comparision, things are looking up!

Watching for bears,
Ellie

Jessica said...

Margo,

I currently have two penpals, myself, and always welcome a third. You should always do things in threes, you know. Except maybe husbands...stick to one. And maybe not always three pieces of pie, though it's always tempting after your second slice...

AS long as you can deal with my incessant use of unnecessary commas,
Jess

Margo said...

Ellie- your comment still has me smiling!

Jessica- three pieces of pie are ALWAYS better than one! Unless it's mince pie, then no thanks! I'd love to be a real pen pal, but you have to suffer my incessant exclamation points! In my opinion, people do not use them nearly enough.