My mother has always told me that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. I always thought that sentiment was a little down-home for me and, if anything, oversimplifying the whole game of love. I mean, if it were true wouldn't Martha Stewart be on the cover of Maxim and be beating men off with a wooden spoon?
Oh, wow, that sounded bad. I meant, beating them away from her with a wooden spoon.
However, I have come across a dish so "manly" and so satisfyingly meaty, that every time I make it Schuyler grunts in joy, tells me that I'm an 'amazing woman,' and practically licks his plate clean. It almost seems a complete shame to not share it, because it's so simple.
Warning: Totally 100% not vegetarian or diet friendly. Thus only adding to how mouth watering delicious it is.
Pepper Steak aka Love Slop
4-5 cube steaks (see, this recipe is classy already!)
2 cups flour
2 T chili powder
1 T garlic salt
2T black pepper
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 green pepper, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 large can whole tomatoes
1 small can crushed tomatoes
Combine the egg and milk and beat with fork. On a plate mix together flour, chili powder, pepper, and salt. Dip cube steaks into egg mixture, and then coat with flour mixture. Brown over medium-high heat using vegetable oil. You do not have to cook them through, just brown them. (About 3 minutes each side.)
In a large saucepan, place browned steak. Cover with tomatoes, celery, and green pepper. Steam carrots in microwave for a few minutes before adding to the saucepan (or they'll never cook in time.) Cover with a lid and cook for 45 minutes.
While cooking, make your favorite recipe for mashed potatoes. Schuyler prefers the garlic instant ones (sacrilege!) but I like to make mine homemade with butter, milk, and a smidge of sour cream.
When the 45 minutes has passed, scoop a generous portion of potatoes on a plate. Put a cube steak on top of the potatoes and smother the whole thing with tomato-vegetable sauce. I usually put two cube steaks on the plate because Schuyler eats like he has a hollow leg.
I know it sounds like a weird mess. But I promise, it will make you grunt with joy it is so good. And your man will probably offer to do the dishes AND rub your back.
Two points for you, mom. I must give my mother credit-- it is her recipe. Maybe that's how she's been married for 30 years...
Love Slop
Sunday, April 4, 2010
Posted by Margo at Sunday, April 04, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment