Do you ever play mind games with yourself?
Perhaps I should elaborate with an example.
Do you ever look forward for something for a very long time, experience it, and then for the days and weeks after go, “4 days ago I was doing that amazing thing and now I’m just stuck at work, boo hoo” or “2 weeks ago today I was having the best time ever at that really amazing place and now I’m folding laundry… wah.”
I’m stuck in that mind game right now. It happens to me when the amount of awesome in my life isn’t enough to compensate for the amount of mundane, mind-numbing ordinary routine. Routine is nice- I love routine! But I also like to escape it long enough to go, “boy I will look forward to getting back into my routine.” If my length of escape- be it vacation, a long weekend, or a business trip- isn’t long enough to make me long for your routine then I will fall into some horrible nostalgic purgatory.
This is where I find myself. In typical bone-head fashion, I schedule a five day round trip out to Phoenix to see my sister. Considering the bulk of the first and last days were spent on excruciatingly long airplane rides, it really was only 3 days of relaxation.
Totally not enough. Now I’m nostalgic about the fact that LAST WEEK AT THIS VERY MINUTE I was eating caprese salad at Pita Jungle with my sister and her friends. And tomorrow I will probably be reminiscing about the Roseanne marathon I watched with my sister while eating junk food. Sigh. Life is so cruel.
--
And yes, my idea of vacation does include Roseanne marathons.
DJ: Mom, I want fish sticks for dinner.
Roseanne: Well it’s nice to know you have a dream!
When a vacation is too short...
Thursday, May 27, 2010
Posted by Margo at Thursday, May 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment