Day 03 → Something you have to forgive yourself for.
I constantly have to forgive myself for many things. I have to remind myself to cut some slack when needed. Even though I know I’m not perfect, I have to forgive myself for this every day.
It’s exhausting.
However, one thing I really must work on forgiving myself for is moving away from my family in Nebraska. I feel guilty all the time for leaving my parents there. We only see each other twice a year, at the most, and I am deeply aware that I’m the one that moved. It was my choice. I don’t see them because I chose this life in Florida. When I’m homesick, it’s only compounded by the nagging sense that I brought it on myself, that it’s all my fault… and that only makes me feel worse.
I left because Nebraska, while amazing in many ways, does not offer much in the way of diversity, differing opinions, or professional opportunity. I think there is something romantic and stoic about living out on the plains during the brutal winters and scorching summers. There is something breathtaking about the blue skies, clean air, and rolling hills that stretch like echoes over the horizon. But before I can settle in to a life so isolated from the world, I need to discover what I would be isolated from. The busy streets of New York and Chicago, the waves of the ocean, the reggae music on Sunday in St. Augustine, the desert of Arizona, and even just discovering Indian food. My god, Indian food. The most amazing food ever invented. And yet, you can’t even buy powdered curry in my hometown grocery store.
So that is how I justify myself for leaving. Now I just need to learn how to forgive it, too.
Day 3: I'm hungry for Indian food
Friday, November 5, 2010
Posted by Margo at Friday, November 05, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Indian food is the most amazing food in the world. Completely. Befriend an Indian and have him take you to his favorite Indian restaurant. I have a "Top 3 Meals of My Life" list and my Indian experience in London is #1.
Post a Comment